Tantrums: Managing Meltdowns
Just the word “tantrum” is enough to make most parents cringe. Of all the challenges you face, temper tantrums may be the most upsetting and one of the hardest to manage on a day-to-day basis.
It’s also one of your child’s most powerful tools to get you to do what they want!
In this video, Dr. Phelan talks about:
- The 3 main causes of tantrums
- How the B.A.D. Syndrome in adults makes tantrums worse
- The 4 simple steps to dealing with tantrums
Why Does My Child Have So Many Tantrums?
Tantrums are totally normal. About 20 percent of children under age 5 will have a tantrum every day. You're not doing anything wrong. In fact, tantrums are often a sign of good parenting!
Children have tantrums for three reasons:
- They want a thing (a cookie right before dinner)
- They want to do a thing (play videogames)
- They don't want to do a thing (go to bed)
The reality is that you're not going to be able to stop every tantrum. But using the strategies outlined in the video, you can certainly make them less frustrating.
June 18, 2021