In this video, Dr. Phelan and Kay are talking about the impact that kids' misbehavior can have on mom’s mental health. Plus, we’ll discuss the way that dads are stepping up—and where there is still work to be done. Watch the video on our Facebook page!
In this video, Dr. Phelan discusses:
- What impact does kids' misbehavior have on mom’s mental health?
- How does that show up in day-to-day life?
- What impact does that then have on the children?
- What can mom do to advocate for her own mental health?
- What can mom’s partner be doing to help?
- Which is a great transition to talk about Dads stepping up
How does kids' misbehavior impact mom's mental health?
It can have a big impact for sure. There is a very high amount of depression in moms, especially stay-at-home moms and moms with young children. Millions of moms every year get what psychologists call "major depression" which can be caused by situations at home and with their kids.
What can mom do to advocate for her own mental health?
The first thing to do is make the connection. One way to start is cognitive behavioral therapy and a second way is finding a parenting program. The cognitive behavioral therapy will help manage some of the bad thoughts that goes along with maternal depression. A good parenting program will assess the issues that cause the parent the most stress and help them come up with a good strategy for that situation.
I hope this video helped! For more parenting advice, check out 1-2-3 Magic .